Utilizing 150 years of leadership and scientific research experience in infant nutrition, Nestlé Hong Kong is now launching a paediatric supplement- NANCARE® DHA & Vitamin D and E Drops. It is made in Italy and contains a unique Tri-Nutri Blend++ to give your babies developing health and growth an extra support!
Breastmilk provides the best nutrition for babies. However, babies do not get much vitamin D from breastmilk, in particular, when their mothers have low vitamin D levels 1,6,7. Study showed that 97% of exclusively breastfed infants in Hong Kong were vitamin D deficient7! The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends infants who are exclusively or partially breastfed should receive 400 IU of supplemental vitamin D daily 8■ .
Vitamin D deficiency in infants and children might lead to:
Vitamin D is a crucial nutrient that promotes healthy bone development and maintains the normal functioning of the immune system1. Nestlé® NANCARE® DHA & Vitamin D and E Drops provides 100% daily intake of vitamin D for infants.
The first year of life is exteremely important for an infant’s brain and visual development. Omega-3 fatty acids (DHA) are the main components of brain cortex and retina, thus facilitating healthy visual and brain development 3,4. European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) recommends a daily intake of 100 mg of DHA11 for 0-2 years old, however the DHA content in natural lactating secretion is highly variable and depends on the mother's diet12.
DHA in Nestlé® NANCARE® DHA & Vitamin D and E Drops is extracted from algae oil, therefore, it can be consumed by vegetarian babies^. The recommended daily dosage provides 20 mg of DHA, supporting babies’ daily needs.
Vitamin E is an antioxidant which can protect DNA, protein and fat from oxidative stress5 and support overall health! As human bodies cannot synthesize Vitamin E, we have to absorb vitamin E through daily diet. Food that is rich in vitamin E includes sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, corn oil, spinach etc15. Nestlé® NANCARE® DHA & Vitamin D and E Drops provides 2mg of vitamin E per serving, supporting babies’ daily needs.
A: Store at room temperature (max 25°) in a dry, cool place. Avoid exposure to heat sources, direct sunlight or contact with water.
A: It is suitable for babies since birth, especially for babies who are exclusively breastfed, mix-fed or formula fed babies with Vitamin D deficiency. Should you have any enquiries on dosage instructions, please consult healthcare professionals.
For more product information, please consult our nutritionist through our hotline 21798333 (HK) or 0800663 (Macau).
++Unique Tri-Nutri blend refers to 3 nutrients including vitamin D, vitamin E and DHA. Vitamin D supports the healthy development of bones and teeth, and immunity; DHA helps the development of the brain and visual; and Vitamin E helps relieve cellular oxidative stress.
■In order to avoid vitamin D deficiency, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that from birth, infants or children who are exclusively breastfed and mix-fed should be supplemented with 400 IU of vitamin D per day until they can consume at least 1L of vitamin D-fortified infant milk formula or cow milk8.
+The dosage of mix-fed infants and children can be adjusted according to the amount of vitamin D in the formula milk/diet. If you have any enquiries, please consult healthcare professionals.
▲If the infant has switched to pure formula feeding, if necessary, dosage can be adjusted to 1-2 drops a day according to the amount of vitamin D in the formula/diet. For details, please consult healthcare professionals.
^Not suitable for vegans.
1. FHS (HK). (2020). Child Health- Parent information: vitamin D. Retrieved from https://www.fhs.gov.hk/english/health_info/child/30078.html
(Accessed on 25 Jan 2020)
2. EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies. (2014). EFSA Journal, 12(2), 3579.
3. EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies. (2014). EFSA Journal, 12(10), 3840.
4. EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies. (2009). EFSA Journal, 941, 1-14.
5. EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies. (2016). EFSA Journal, 14(10), 4588.
6. Chan, K.C.C., et al. (2018). HK Med J, 24(Supp3), S32-35.
7. Chang, S.W. & Lee, H.C. (2019). Pediatrics and Neonatology, 60, 237-244.
8. Wagner, C.L., & Greer, F.R. (2008). Pediatrics, 122(5), 1142-1152.
9. Braegger, C., et al. & ESPGHAN Committee on Nutrition, (2013). Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 56(6), 692–701.
10. Jan Mohamed, H. J., et al. (2014). PloS one, 9(7), e100705.
11. EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies. (2013). EFSA Journal, 11(10), 3408.
12. Forsyth, S., et al. (2016). Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism,69, 64-74.
13. Kuratko, C.N., et al. (2013). Nutrients, 5(7), 2777-2810
14. Brémond Gignac, D., et al. (2011). Current Opinion Ophthalmology, 22(Suppl), S1-8.
15. NIH, US.(2020) Vitamin E- factsheet for health professionals. Retrieved from: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminE-HealthProfessional/
16. EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies. (2015). EFSA Journal, 13(7), 4149.
NESTLÉ® NANCARE® DHA & Vitamin D and E Drops is not a substitute for breastmilk and does not replace a balanced diet. Before using any dietary supplement, please discuss with your healthcare professional. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. Keep out of reach of children. NESTLÉ® NANCARE® DHA & Vitamin D and E Drops is Food for special medical purpose. For the dietary management of breastfeeding babies or babies consuming infant milk formula with sub-optimal level of vitamin D.